Monday, July 30, 2012

Steaming Pile of Yappy Puppy Turd..Oh, and Play Doh

Let me start this blog post by saying, to those of you who have children, animals or other beings in your house while you're trying to blog...I SALUTE YOU, because I have just realized how difficult it is to blog while there are other things (animals, people...POOP!) that need your attention.  Let me tell you what is happening in this apartment, RIGHT THIS SECOND, as I'm trying to blog about this NIFTY Play Doh Recipe! (If you want to skip the dramatic story, because like I said, I can never do anything the socially acceptable way, just scroll down to the pictures. If you want to continue reading about the hilarity that is called my life as well as the NIFTY Play Doh Recipe, please continue to read.) 

For those who may not know: This is Cooper, look how sweet! :)

I have been spending many o' nights fretting about what I am going to do about college this fall.  So, to try and calm some of my fretting, I made a phone call to the admissions office at a local college. (and by local I mean 45 miles away) I also should mention that I decided to make this phone call during the week that my brother-in-law and 2 of my sisters, and one puppy have come to stay…IN OUR ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT!  So, here I am answering a phone call from Miss I Run Admissions, when Nissy (the yappy puppy) has decided to play hide and seek with Cooper by running her scrawny little body under the couch, which cause Cooper to growl and bark…LOUDLY! (Yes, Cooper, please get louder…I don’t think you’ve quite made Nissy’s ears bleed!!) Anyway, at this point I have to as Miss I Run Admissions to repeat herself so I can understand what it is that she needs from me (besides my money) to attend this fall. 



Right at that moment, Nissy has decided that playing hide and seek hasn’t been enough fun as she picks up someone’s ipod cord and RUNS like hell with it, Cooper following close behind barking INSANELY, then corals Nissy back under the couch. He's still barking, and proceeds to scare the living CRAP out of her. I mean this literally, because right at that moment, a TURD, a warm fresh TURD rolls out from under my couch!

 I am trying to keep my composure and continue to give the correctly cued “uh-huh”, “yes-mams” and “thank-yous” as I am FLAILING my arms frantically in the air trying to alert my 10 year old sister that she is about to plant her foot directly in a fresh steaming pile of yappy puppy turd as she is trying to get off the couch.  She continues to give me confused looks as the woman on the phone is saying “Ma’am…is it possible to send me your college transcript via e-mail” I DON’T KNOW WOMAN! RIGHT NOW I HAVE A STEAMING PILE OF YAPPY PUPPY TURD IN THE MIDDLE OF MY CARPET, PERHAPS WE CAN TALK ABOUT TRANSCRIPTS IN LIKE 2.5 SECONDS?!

 But I really say “Yes, I’m sure I can figure that out.” (More arm flailing to try to get little sister’s attention, as she FINALLY after what seemed like HOURS realized that she was about to stick her foot in a steaming pile of yappy puppy turd, and jumped up like a bat out of hell to grab a paper towel to clean up the mess. And just like that, the woman was saying,

“Thank-you for calling, I’ll see you on Wednesday.”  Click
 
HUH?!...WHAT?! I feel like I just started this conversation!

So, I have a meeting on Wednesday to start college in the fall. (That is the positive to this story) I am supposed to bring a transcript? No. I’m supposed to EMAIL the transcript, and bring something with me…except I don’t remember because of the STEAMING PILE OF YAPPY PUPPY TURD that was in the middle of my carpet.

Thus, again I must say, to those of you blogging with small children, animals or any other living breathing being, I salute you for continuing to produce awesome posts in such crazy working conditions.


Now, you should all be glad that I am such a good multi-tasker, because even as all of that was transpiring, I was able to produce this AWESOME post about how to create this NIFTY Play Doh Recipe!
 

This recipe comes from my brother-in-law, quote “the only self proclaimed man on pinterest”, and we used this site for reference. Please Enjoy!
 


Here's what you're going to need:
2 cups flour
2 cups warm water
1 cup salt
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon cream of tartar (optional for improved elasticity)

food coloring (liquid, powder, or unsweetened drink mix)
Now, I'm going to be honest with you. The recipe says that the cream of tartar is optional, but if you want your play doh to feel like the real stuff...USE IT!

First thing's first. Add all of your ingredients to your pan (except for the food coloring) off the stove.


Mix it all together and then place on the stove. You want to cook the mixture on low heat. (If you have a heat setting, we cooked it on #3 of 10 heat settings)

As it cooks, it will start to congeal and form lumps. Don't freak, it will look inconsistent for a few minutes.

You can see in this picture how the mixture is starting to clump together. From here there is only a few more minutes of stirring needed.

This is what it looks like when it is finished. When your mixture is in one big mass in the middle of the pan, and it is difficult to stir, remove it from the heat and let it cool for about 30 minutes.

After it's finished cooling roll the entire mixture into a giant ball to ensure everything is completely mixed.

Separate your big ball into balls of equal size. The number of balls depends on how many colors you want. (Or it could just be dictated by the number of children you have wanting to mix their own)


Poke a hole in the center of your dough and add 3 drops to start.  You can add as many as you need depending on how dark you want your color.


Squish it together to get the color throughout the dough ball.

And...WAH-LAH! There it is. Play Doh!

I have to say, regardless of all the drama that transpired while trying to get this post to you, this NIFTY Play Doh Recipe is AWESOME! It feels like the real stuff; it even SMELLS like the real stuff. It should bring you and your children buckets of smiles!

Thanks for joining me for another post! :)

3 comments:

  1. We'll be doing this, for sure. I've seen many recipes, but none with the cream of tartar...

    And thanks for the indirect salute. I just end up blogging about my crazy kid and that ends up being funny :) Good luck with your busy house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know you are the same old Marti always talking about poop hahaha

    ReplyDelete