Monday, September 3, 2012

Back to School...

Back to school, to prove to Dad that I'm not a fool. I got my lunch packed up, my shoes tied tight. I hope I don't get in a fight. (Anyone else out there a Billy Madison fan?!) Anyway, Hubby goes back to school tomorrow. LET THE MADNESS BEGIN! This year's class size is so big that instead of teaching 5 periods and having a planning, he has to teach through his planning. HOLY-TOO-MANY-KIDS-IN-8th-GRADE-BATMAN!

So, to comfort him and his teaching team as they enter the battle zone this year, I used this cute tutorial to make them snazzy pencil holders! YAY ME! It's pretty simple, super adorable and makes a great teacher gift. :) What's that? You wanna make one?! Well of course you do!

Here's how you do it!
You're going to need a 2x4 cut into 7in blocks. You can make these as big or small as you want. I made some that were only 4in long.
Paint, glitter, stencils, and anything else you want to decorate with.

Cut your 2x4 into 7in blocks. You can see here my mini pencil holders. Those are 4in. (Cut them however it makes you happy.)

Drill holes starting 1/2in from the side and then going every 1in from there. (1/2 in, 1 1/2in, 2 1/2in, 3 1/2in...etc)




Sand the edges to make sure you don't get splinters.


Paint it all up and add some cute lettering.

 
 
I wood glued some clothes pins to the back of mine. Want to know which student borrowed a pencil? Make them write their name on a slip of paper and put it in the clothes pin.  You have a meeting coming up in the afternoon and don't want to forget? Leave yourself a note. I'm sure there are many other things you could do with these.
And there you have it. A pencil holder for your most beloved teacher. :) Or hubby...

No comments:

Post a Comment